Soviet at the Emmys
As one of the most important social events for celebrities everywhere, the Emmys recognises the amazing talent that Hollywood has to offer in terms of Series, Soapies and Reality TV. It’s a true red carpet event that promises glamour, fashion, celebrations, smiles… and fashion fails.
Yes, these event aren’t always about what you win (or what you don’t), but rather about what you wear, and how well you pull it off.
Relishing in fashion of every type, and drawing inspiration from the leaders of style and design, we look at the top Fashion Fabs and Fails on the red carpet at the 2015 Emmys.
What Were You Thinking’s:
- Heidi Klum: As one of the Modeling Legends of all time, and a usually super-stylish dresser, it was quite a shock to see Heidi Klum sporting this ensemble. Donatella Versace must have been watching Big Bird parading around when she got inspired. The single sleeve, the mesh-over-skirt, the embellished mini, the draining yellow colour - but nothing beats the fact that Heidi is a mother, and mothers don’t dress like this.
- Joanna Newsome: When your partner hosts the Emmys, you go to extra lengths to make sure you look good. However, we feel that Joanna Newsome was getting inspired by her living room drapes when this note was sent out. The colour isn’t doing her any favours either.
- Gwendoline Christie: In GoT, Gwendoline slays like she is on fire. But on the red carpet, she’s rather mediocre… The wishy-washy wrap-over gown is beautifully cut, but the colour leaves her looking washed-out, and rather unremarkable for all the fire she possesses.
- Danielle Brooks: Look, we understand that hot is good. That’s what fashion is for, right? But showing up looking like a popsicle will only cool down the heat. Danielle Brooks is a beautiful woman with curves that will make your mouth drop. But the dress does her no justice.
- Taryn Manning: More is less, and rather stay safe than sorry? Sometimes the best advice delivers the worst ideas. Take Taryn’s “Morticia meets Malificent” dress, for example. There is no flair, no risk, not even any colour. Perhaps if you lost the train and the cape, and added some swoosh, then it could have been… acceptable?
- Anna Chlumsky: Mushroom soup, anybody? From the colour and rosy-vegetable-like embellishments to the badly planned tan lines. Anna, you are known for much better choices than this. Besides, they give you free dinner at the Emmys.
You Go Girl’s:
- Taraji P. Henson: Now this is what we like to see. A little black dress number with enough flair to make it stand out from the crowd. Lace, design, fit and accessories; it all came together for the perfect sexy, sophisticated look at a red carpet event.
- Lady Gaga: Surprising everybody with meatless, bubbles-free attire, this simple black gown still had a piece of Gaga panache. Toned down, but still gorgeous, Lady Gaga proves that underneath it all, she is a true beauty
- Kerry Washington: This lady cannot get it wrong, And at this year’s Emmys, she proved that risk pays off. With a Marc Jacob’s design, right off the runway, she rocked the three-quarter, sleek silver, mesh dress like it was meant for her. Beautifully understated, perfectly OTT.
- Naomi Watts: Fresh and feminine; Naomi and her mid-length dress did nothing but impress in the heat of the night. The ladylike fabric and cut proved that sexy can be done in various ways. This was definitely a winner.
- Sarah Hyland: With monochromatic colouring and a simple off-the-shoulder cut, Sarah Hyland looked stunning in her Burgundy Zac Posen ensemble. Her shortish hair accentuates her beautiful face and figure, while the colour gives her a vibrant, energetic complexion. One thing is for certain: this girl has grown to a beautiful young woman.
- Sofia Vergara: This stunning Latina beauty proves that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Using her curves as the main feature, Sofia was sporting a St. John fitted mermaid style dress covered in Swarovski crystals. Elegant, sophisticated and sexy as hell.
Which was your favourite?